There are some families that have had some difficult challenges the past few years. As Christmas rolls around, use your creativity to think of things from your home that you could give as gifts. Here are a few ideas:
1. I already wrote a post on this, but you could declutter your home and sell or consign things you don't want or need and use the money to buy something.
2. Give heirloom gifts. Maybe there is something that one of your relatives would really enjoy. Pass it on and keep it in the family that way.
3. Do you have some extra household items hanging around in your cupboards? Make a gift basket with some body wash, soap, a toothbrush, floss, etc. and put it in a basket or container that you can spruce up from home. Use some of your old Christmas decorations to wrap gifts.
4. Make something from your kitchen: homemade fudge, sugar cookies, gingerbread, or whatever you have ingredients for. Decorate a lunch bag to put them in or your can put them in a mug and wrap it or use a nice mismatched plate or one from an incomplete set that you plan on getting rid of anyway. You can also give away homemade jam. There are some cute ideas for packaging here. Several of them are things you have to pay for, but can easily be made on your own.
5. Do you have any new things with tags around the house that you bought recently and didn't use? Take them back to the store where you purchased them, if it is within the allotted time. If you don't have the receipt still, you may not get as much as you paid for the item in return, but it will save you from having another piece of unused clutter in your home.
6. Give a themed food basket from things in your cupboard. For example, an Italian themed basket could include pasta, sauce, canned veggies, homemade bread or bread sticks, etc.
7. Jewelry - Maybe you have some jewelry that you don't wear. You could give a gift of dress up clothes to a young child. Make a cute princess dress out of an evening gown that doesn't fit any more and give some jewelry to go with it.
8. Make a gingerbread house, train or sleigh.
9. Make a set of greeting cards as a gift.