- Purchase only videos/DVD’s that you have seen and know you like. Even though videos may be priced reasonably, why add clutter to your house by buying videos you only want to watch once? Although it may be cheaper than taking the whole family to a movie, it may not be worth the money. If you do watch a video and find that you like it, you can save money by purchasing previewed copies at video stores. You can get the movies you want for 50 percent or more off the price. Remember, if you want to purchase videos, make sure it is one you have seen and like.
- Some libraries carry videos and DVD’s. Checking them out from the library usually does not cost anything. If there is a movie you know will be coming out soon, put it on hold so you can be one of the first people to rent it if the library is planning on purchasing it.
- Sometimes stores will offer Buy One Get One Free Coupons. I use these coupons to get new releases. Because the rental period is 4-5 days, I get them early in the week so I can watch them on Fridays. If I wait until Friday to rent the newest releases, they are usually gone. Find out how much each store charges for their rentals. Find out if they have any specials on their rentals. Find out the length of the rental period. Sometimes stores will offer all movies for $.99 on certain days. Sometimes they offer free or reduced kids and family movies. Sometimes you can get five movies for five dollars, but if you only rent three they are two dollars each. Some stores offer additional savings for a fee of $9.95 per year. By taking advantage of these offers, you can save yourself money.
- Check the rental period. If you are paying the same price for movie rentals, why not get them for seven days instead of three?
- RETURN MOVIES ON TIME. Put the due date on a calendar so you won’t forget. Video stores make a considerable amount of money of late fees. It isn’t a good value if you are continually paying extra money for not returning the videos on time.
By following these guidelines, you can save money on video/DVD rentals or you can get more movies for your money. It takes a few phone calls and a little bit of time to gather information and compare, but the time will be well spent. Whatever option you choose for viewing, make sure you return items on time.